The condition of former F1 driver turned Paralympic gold medallist Alex Zanardi is reported to be unchanged on Wednesday and that he remained in serious but stable condition since being involved in an handbike racing accident on Friday in his native Italy.
After being struck by a heavy vehicle during the Obiettivo Tricolore, the 53-year-old was airlifted to hospital in Siena and underwent three hours of neurosurgery as well as procedures for facial and jaw injuries, and was then placed in a medically induced coma.
Doctors have previously said that a long-term prognosis for his recovery was impossible at this stage. The latest update said that there had been no “substantial changes to his clinical condition”.
- Zanardi surgeon issues update – won’t commit to prognosis
“Alex Zanardi’s conditions remain stationary, hospitalised in the intensive care unit of the Santa Maria alle Scotte polyclinic in Siena from Friday 19 June,” said the medical bulletin.
“The athlete spent the fifth night in hospital without substantial changes in his clinical conditions, as regards the cardio-respiratory and metabolic parameters. The neurological picture remains serious.