Last month, Hulk Hogan sued the Laser Spine Institute in Tampa, Florida, for $50 million in damages for unnecessary surgeries that he claims prevented him from wrestling John Cena in a WWE dream match. During a newly published interview with Fighting Spirit, the wrestling legend clarifies remarks he said then linking the earnings loss with potential money-making matches in WWE, stating they were taken “out of context.” Hogan explained the details behind the match with Cena.
“It was part of a 25-year deal (with WWE)”, Hogan said. I was filming Hogan Knows Best, and Vince McMahon and I started negotiating. It was at a time when I was coming back for the one-off shows with Shawn (Michaels) and Randy (Orton).”
“But it’s wrong about Cena – that was just part of the whole thing where I would show up once in a while and wrestle. It was one of those times where Vince and I were in love one day, and fighting the next. We were negotiating a 25-year deal, and part of it was me wrestling Cena in Orlando at Wrestlemania. I called Vince and said, ‘I’m good to go’. I’d just had my first back surgery, and everything was supposed to be perfect, but just before I was due on TV, my back went. I was scared to call Vince, but when I did, I was like, ‘Dude, my back has gone out again’. After more surgeries, instead of a morphine pump to ease the pain, they inserted a battery (into my back) that was made by NASA for the space shuttle, and lasts forever.”
For more on the interview, click here.
See photos of The Undertaker’s (overweight) return at WWE show on Saturday